Ever looked closely at your tires, and wondered what all of the letters and numbers on them mean? All of that information is actually very important in maintaining your tires! Below is a breakdown of each number and letter combination, and what they mean.
- P Designation: Tires for Passenger vehicles, including cars, minivans, SUVs, and light trucks, will start with the letter P for “passenger”.
- Section width: The first set of three numbers is the width of the tire, measured in millimeters.
- Aspect ratio: The next number is the ratio of height to width. SUVs and trucks come standard with tires that have a higher profile that are usually expressed with a 65 or higher aspect ratio number, while cars have an aspect ratio number of 55.
- R designation: There is a letter (or multiple letters) indicating the construction of the tire. Depending on your tires, R represents Radial construction, D is for diagonal construction and B is for belted construction.
- Rim Height: The third number set is the rim height the tire is to be mounted on. The rim height is important because if you get this wrong, the tire won’t even fit on your wheels, let alone on your car.
- Load Index: The final number is the load index, which indicates the amount of weight the tire is made to carry. Lighter cars may have a lower number, while heavier cars or SUVs have a larger number. These numbers range from 70 for about 700 pounds per tire to 110 for 2,300 pounds per tire.
- Speed Rating: The final letter that comes just after the three tire size numbers corresponds to the speed the tire is rated for – the later in the alphabet, the higher the speed. W and Y designations are designed for exotic cars, while S and T, although rated at a maximum speed just over 110 miles per hour, are designed for vans and family cars.
If you have a question or concern about your vehicle’s tires, don’t hesitate to contact our service department or schedule a service appointment!
Come and see why All Star’s integrity and extraordinary customer service will prove to be second to none. Whether you’re looking for a new or pre-owned vehicle, we look forward to sharing our vast knowledge of the automotive industry with you, your family and friends.
At All Star Automotive, we offer a wide range of automotive services to make every step of your ownership experience as easy as possible, whether you’re shopping around, or need repairs from certified experts.
To help you find just what you’re looking for, our new inventory and used inventory search provides plenty of options. And when you’re ready, quick credit approvals and online financing help make your purchase go smoothly and efficiently. You can also schedule your service online and get the expertise of one of our factory-trained technicians. All these options are available at Baton Rouge’s favorite place to buy and service vehicles – All Star Automotive!